Friday, March 8, 2013

I need new running shoes!

Late last spring I began my running career.  That sounds kind of strange to me - now that almost a year has gone by and I am still doing this!   Lots of things overwhelmed me in the beginning... What kind of clothes should I wear?  What shoes would be best for me?  Will I ever want to run farther than 1 mile?  When will I ever enjoy this process?  Will I look dumb in front of other more experienced people at races?  What if I come in last at a race?   What is the "runner's high" and will I ever find it?  What do I eat before I run?  What if I can't run and look stupid?  Yikes!

First off - I knew I needed some good shoes if I was to be proactive about injury prevention and just enjoy the running experience more.  So it was a no brainer to head to the best running store I knew about within an hour's drive... and that was Fairhaven Runners and Walkers in Bellingham, WA.


 
I walked into Fairhaven Runners on a somewhat busy day with 2 of my kid's in tow (ages 6 and 4).  I was immediately greeted by a really friendly sales guy that asked if he could help me.  Of course I said 'YES"!  Almost right off the bat another salesperson asked if my kids could have fruit snacks.  I said "YES" again.  They quickly returned with 2 packages of fruit snacks for my kids to enjoy while I shopped.   Win a mom's heart by thinking of her kids... good job!
 
 
 
The sales person asked what I needed and I told him I was a beginner runner and needed some running shoes.  He asked me some more questions.  Unfortunately I had not brought with me my current "walking" shoes.  That would have been helpful but not a total loss that I didn't have anything with me but the spring flip flops I was wearing.  I wish I could remember the name of the sales clerk that helped me that day.  He was so nice and helpful!  He NEVER seemed to talk down to me because I was inexperienced or new to running.  He didn't seem annoyed that my kids were all over the place either.   After asking me a few questions he sized up my feet to see what size I should be wearing.  Then he dissappeared to the back room for a little bit and returned with several boxes of really cool shoes.  It turns out that I had been wearing shoes that were too small for my feet - especially for running.  Oh well - a girl does what a girl does.
 
I tried on the first pair and they were awesome... It didn't stop there... The sales clerk said to put the other one on and lace them completely up - we were going outside for him to watch me run up and down the sidewalk.  Wow - really?  Okay... so I did what he told me to do and then reapeated it for the other shoes he had brought out.  I don't remember the different brands he had me try that day but I do know the shoes that I ended up with.  They were dreamy comfy and reasonably priced I thought.  I loved the chance to try them on a real street and was a little bit weirded out by him wanting to watch me run but it made sense so I did what he told me to do. 
 
I ended up with Mizuno Wave 8 Women's size 10.   Size 10?  Really?  I had always thought I wore a 9ish... but especially since having 3 children I needed a size 10.  I trusted the slaes clerk and I love the shoes.  It changed the entire way I felt when I tried to run.  Please - if you are a beginner and you are struggling to enjoy running or feel comfortable.  Go to a good running store and get fitted for shoes that fit you and are made for what you are doing!  Please just go!
 
I have been running for months now and have recently completed my first 1/2 marathon.  I completed the Tinkerbell 1/2 Marathon on January 20th at DISNEYLAND and the Neverland Family 5K the day before!  (Yeah for me!)  My Mizuno shoes are tired and I need to replace them.   My Nike + app is up and in the mid 700s now... it is time.
 
 
Here I am during the Tinkerbell 1/2 Marathon wearing my Mizuno shoes from Fairhaven Runners!
 
 
I recently bought a pair of Nike Fusion at Kohl's with no help whatsoever from a sales clerk...
 
 
 
I bought them purely because I needed a new pair for a trip and price was a huge factor.  They are comfortable and I love them for just plain old walking and wearing.  I have worn them for running 2 - 4 miles outside and for all distances on my treadmill.  They haven't bothered me at all.  I have been switching them out with my old pair though and not used them exclusively. 
 
 
The end of this shoe story is I just need to buy some new shoes.  Soon I will be making a trip north to Bellingham to be greeted again by the wonderful staff at Fairhaven Runners & Walkers and sink some dough into some new kicks.  Bonus for the trip is I may be able to squeeze in a visit to Trader Joe's !  The other store I want to fit a visit in to is Erin Baker's Wholesome Baked Goods !  The Best Breakfast Cookie's and Granola around! 
 
I think I may write a review on their products that I have tried.  Yum!
 
PS - What I really want are the new New Balance shoes that you can only purchase at runDisney events (or on EBAY for a bazillion dollars) - so sad that I won't be able to purchase until next January when I make the trip back for the Tinkerbell 1/2 Marathon 2014!!!
 
Drumroll...
 

 
I have no idea if these shoes would be good for my running style but I would look awesome wearing them! (and isn't that what matters most?)

1 comment:

  1. This is so great! We are going to this very running store on Sunday for me to get new shoes. And I had already thought it would be so great to go to TJ's while we're up there. I'm so excited!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...