Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Racerversary! Run in a race... Ha... I said I would never do that!

On September 8th, 2012... I ran in my very first race.  I had participated as a walker in some 5Ks before and even walked 60 miles in 3 days to raise money for Breast Cancer Research back in 2002. But actually run in a race... I would have laughed in your face if you had told me I would be doing this prior to 2012!   I had lost a lot of "baby weight" (about 65 pounds) after I had my 3rd baby in 2008 using Weight Watchers ... I had reached my goal weight without any exercise to speak of in September of 2009.  BUT... slowly over the next year I had gained back about half of that number.  So I knew I needed to do something... I wanted to make a life change!  I knew diet paired with exercise was the answer!  What was my motivation to even consider running and get started... originally it was to run in the Tinkerbell Half Marathon at Disneyland in January of 2013.  I was focused!  I could see that pink castle... I was going to do it!  

I can only dream that these were my legs and that is my backside... alas this is not me.
 

Now... looking back I probably should have picked a nice 5K... a cute short race with a fun t-shirt as a perk as my baptism into the world of running.   Nope... not me... I dove right into the deep end and registered for a 15K  (yes - that is 9.3 miles)!  So last September after just a few short months of training I showed up in the morning in Bellingham just north of where we live.   It was a nice cool morning and off we went.  As the race morning wore on the sun came out and it warmed up.  Fast forward to the last 2 miles... it was WARM... super warm for me.  I made it to that finish line but mentally I wanted to QUIT the last 2 or so miles.  BUT - I made it and successfully finished my first race as a REAL runner!
This is a photo of me after the finish of the Fairhaven 15K in 
Bellingham, WA on September 8th, 2012.  

I can't believe it was a year ago... crazy!   I have a lot more race experience under my belt now.  
2012 completed

Fairhaven Waterfront 15K - Bellingham, WA -  Sept 8, 2012

Poulsbo Marathon (I did the 10K) - Poulsbo, WA - October 14, 2012

Shoebox Run 10K  - Arlington, WA - October 20, 2012

Santa Dash 5K - Stanwood, WA - December 8, 2012

Toys for Tots 10K - Arlington, WA - December 8, 2012

2013 completed

runDisney - Neverland 5K - Anaheim, CA - January 19, 2013

runDisney - Tinkerbell Half Marathon - Anaheim, CA - January 20, 2013

River and Rails 10K/5K (doing the 10K) - Arlington, WA - March 23, 2013

Sandy Hook Run for the Families 5K - Virtual Runner - March 2012

River and Rails 10K/5K (10K) - Arlington, WA - March 23, 2013

Hippity Hop 5K - Stanwood, WA - March 30th, 2013

Super Hero 5K - Benefits Kids to summer camp - Bellingham, WA - April 13, 2013

Heroes Half Marathon - Everett, WA - April 28, 2013

Inspiring Hope 10K - Everett, WA - May 11, 2013

Walk and Roll 10K - Arlington, WA - May 18, 2013

Boston Solidarity 10K Run - Arlington, WA - June 8, 2013

See Jane Run Half Marathon - Seattle, WA -  July 14, 2013

Refuse to Abuse 5K - Seattle, WA - Safeco Field - July 20, 2013
 

Columbia Winery 10K - Woodinville, WA - Aug 17, 2013

Run A Muk 10K - Mukilteo, WA - Aug 24, 2013



I will definitely approach this race again with a different mind set.  I will most likely be a lot more calm at the start... have a little more fun as I run... and also be aware of the hills towards the end and not be intimidated by them.

Yep - on September 14th - I will run the Fairhaven 15K again.  Wow... a whole year has gone by!  


So on September 14th - Happy Racerversary to me!!!  I used to laugh out loud at people who ran... now I am one of those runners.  I am addicted to what running does for me... how I feel... my time for me.  I am actually grumpy when I don't get my run in when I had planned.  Who is this person?  Wow!

PS - I still have the Disney motivation... but some of my motivation is also... lifestyle, healthy body, good example for my children, and something for ME.

And... I did run the Tinkerbell Half Marathon and wrote about HERE and I am going back in 2014 to run it again!


2 comments:

  1. Happy Runniversary! You've accomplished a LOT in a year!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Racerversary! Best of luck with your race on the 14th. I am still thinking about the Dumbo Double Dare last weekend. It was so much fun!! Your URL is perfect. It's true there is never enough Disney :-) Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...