Monday, September 30, 2013

Harvest 5K - A Family Run!

This was a running weekend!  

On Saturday, September 28th, my whole family turned out to participate in the first Harvest 5K in Stanwood, WA.  This race took place just minutes from our home at Klesick Family Farms that also happens to have a successful delivery business of Organic Produce. 

100% of sponsor fees from this event and runner registration fees went to CrossWay International, a non-profit ministry who will be drilling a water well in Ukundu Town, Kenya - home to 2,000 people including 200 orphans. Our goal is to raise $10,000 to cover the cost of the well.  It is amazing that a bunch of local people can turn out on a rainy Washington morning and raise enough money to change the lives of an entire village across the world!  Yeah!

My whole family participated in this event... it was a rainy and cold morning... my children had attitudes... all over the maps... my daughter was excited... my oldest son had to be convinced this was going to be fun (he still didn't think so at the end)... my youngest son was excited he was going to get to ride in the plastic covered stroller.  My husband was game to push the stroller and let me do my "running thing".  At least we were all there!


The whole family... Wyatt (9), Makenna (7), 
and Luke (5)... oh and that is me and my awesome husband Brian!

The weather was not great... drizzling and windy... as we waited for the race to begin most people were cold... but soon they were encouraging everyone to the start line and off we went.  My daughter loves to run... she was off... I soon settled into my "routine" and at about mile 1.5 my oldest son and my daughter started telling me to slow down (I am not super speedy anyway).  My 9 year old slowed to keep up with my husband and I took off ahead... never far ahead of my girl though.  This course was awesome... farm roads all the way... we freaked out a few herds of cows who chose to run along for a bit.  a few vehicles made an appearance (all farm trucks who more that happy to wait for the runners and walkers).

Here are few shots of the family at various places on the 3.1 mile course.







The weather held off enough to get it done but most participants left before the race organizers had a chance to hand out any awards.  Bravo to Klesick Farms for planning this first ever event!  It was terrific!  Below is a photo of some of our friends that participated as well... so much fun!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...