Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Where I came from ...


I went to a reunion this past weekend with a lot of my mom's family that I have not seen a whole lot of in the past 20 or so years. I miss them and it was so good to just "be" with them. It was only a few hours... on a very warm day... at a park with all ages spread around. My mom died when I was 13... the anniversary was this weekend as well... 30 years ago. The picnic get together was by no means a way to honor that... it was just the weekend that worked out for most to attend. It has been a long time. I was introduced more than once at this picnic as "Beverly's daughter"... it has been a very long time since I have thought of myself as that. My husband's family gets together quite a bit... lots in fact. I have wondered sometimes at those gatherings what it would be like to have my mom around in this phase of my life... I wish my kids could experience how much fun she was and how much fun she liked to have.
We also went to Brian's 20 year high school reunion this weekend as well. As I watched the slideshow of long ago faces of people I didn't know a saying at the end of the slideshow struck me... "The older you get the more important is for you to stay connected with those who knew you when you were young"... I like that. Maybe that is one reason why I love my sisters and my brother and my extended family so much. They loved me then and they still love me now.
The photo is me and my 2 sisters (Heather & Pam) as well as one of my cousins (Lynda).

1 comment:

  1. I really like that quote you shared. It helps make sense of some of the things we feel so innately. It would have been so good for your kids to know your mom. It would help them understand their mom better. I think that's one of the things I appreciate about having known my grandma (on mom's side), it helps me understand my mom's quirks, among other things.

    Love the picture.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...